The New Year is typically a time for fresh starts, new beginnings and goal setting. For those diligent enough to follow through with New Year’s resolutions, you may find yourself on the hunt for a new job. If you’re looking to switch jobs, you’re in luck, as January is a peak month for those looking to recruit. Here’s why you should start your job search now and what you can do to maximise your chances of being successful in the job market.
- With recent findings reflecting that within the hospitality industry 65% of people plan to look for a career move in the new year, this means your future employer may be looking to recruit. With the busy festive period out the way and many people receiving their end-of-year bonuses, employers tend to expect an influx of resignations and therefore will begin the recruitment process to avoid being short staffed over busier periods.
- Companies will have set their budgets for the year and money will most likely be put aside for future hires. Recruiters have a better idea of what they need and if they can afford to hire new talent. As November and December also tend to be slower than usual hiring months in Hospitality (because everyone’s so busy), this usually creates a demand for staff in January and February.
- If you are looking to change jobs, first things first, it’s time to update that CV, before approaching your recruiter. Ensure your CV is simple, easy to read and focuses on your accomplishments. Update your job history and make sure your most recent job description is full of all your capabilities, as this is primarily where a recruiter will look to gather their first impressions of you.
- While you may start off the new year feeling refreshed and positive about getting started on your job search, it can sometimes be tough to keep morale high. You may find yourself attending numerous interviews and meeting with several people before receiving any feedback. Remind yourself to keep momentum up as we know the right job is just around the corner.
- Common interview mistakes include not having knowledge on the place you’d like to work, dressing down and having poor interview mannerisms. Ensure you are prepared by doing your research and analysing the job, if you have the job description consider what the company is looking for in a candidate, so you can cover those points in the interview.
If your new year’s resolution is to search for a new job, The Change group have an array of positions available which you can find on our website. If you would like to register, simply submit your CV online and one of the team will be in contact with you.
Luxury Hospitality Recruitment
The Change Group source superior temporary and permanent staff for some of the best-known restaurants, bars, bistros, hotels and event companies in London. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch if we can assist in your search of your dream job! We have chef jobs, front of house positions and administrative roles available. Call us on 02079236021 or submit your CV online.
Alternatively, if you’re looking to hire Front of House, Back of House or Business and Commercial staff, we have an array of exceptionally talented staff that would easily slot into your business so please contact us or submit a vacancy online.